MINERAncestry - People of Minera
Have YOU Minera Roots ? Have YOU past Minera family Pics? If so, please email a pic for inclusion on this page to email@example.com
Owens family of Five Crosses, Minera.
Owen Owens (of Five Crosses Inn, Minera) pictured with his wife Elizabeth and their children. He is found within the Business Directories of the time as a blacksmith in addition to being a retailer of beer. The Five Crosses Inn was previously in the hands of Owen's father Thomas, and a total of three generation's of the family were to reside on the premises.
Thomas Owens 1814-1874
Thomas Owens, Born in Llandderfel, the eldest child of Owen & Gwen Owens, He moved 8 miles from Llanelidan to become the Blacksmith at the village of Llandegla,
On 16th February 1839 at the age of 25 he married Miriam Williams daughter of William and Magdalen Williams in St Tecla’s Church, Llandegla.
It seems that for some 10 years they lived at the Old Smithy on the High street and had at least 5 children that are recorded.
Eleanor Owens b.1840
Jane Owens b.1844
Robert Owens b..October 1845 & died 8th Jan 1846 aged 4 Months and is buried at St Tecla’s Church, Llandegla
Robert Owens b March 184 and died 8th June 1849 aged 3 Months and is buried at St Tecla’s Church, Llandegla
Owen Owens b. 9th November 1848 at the White Lion, Llan, Llandegla
Sometime in 1851 after the census was taken, Thomas decided to move on from Llandegla and travelled with his family another 6 miles to settle in the village of Minera,
He rented a Beer house, Namely the Five Crosses Inn and numbers 18, 19 & 20 of the Twenty Houses, 3 cottages that were attached to the Inn including a smithy to the side of the property. After moving to Minera (Mwnglawdd - Welsh Spelling) Thomas and Miriam had the following additional children:
Elizabeth Owens b. 1851 Minera
William Owens b. 1854 Minera
Winefred Owens b. 1858 Minera
Hannah Owens b. July 1865 Minera and died 30th June 1866 aged 11 months old and is buried at St Tecla’s Church, Llandegla
In 1863 an extract from J.C. Davies book Pubs and inquests states that Thomas and Miriam Owens were the tenants of the Five Crosses and it had been reported in the press that there was bad feeling between 2 families in the Twenty Houses. A fight broke out between Thomas Owens and David Jones, Thomas apparently hit Mrs Jones with a stick which resulted in her having medical attention costing £1.10s. Thomas was ordered to pay £2 costs. By the time of the 1871 census it seems that David Jones and his wife had moved away from the Twenty Houses.
On the Available census returns for Minera in 1871 it is recorded that Thomas is a Blacksmith aged 57, he was also a Collier and a publican although his wife Miriam mainly ran the pub. This was quite typical in the area that the Publicans also worked in the mines to subsidise an extra income. By 1871 his son’s Owen and William had been taught the family trade and were now Blacksmiths.
Thomas died on 13th January 1874, aged 59 it was noted that by 1874 the pub had been transferred to his son Owen upon his death. He was buried alongside his Infant children at St Tecla’s Church, Llandegla and Miriam was later buried with him following her death on 29th November 1902 aged 83
Owen Owens was born on 9th November 1848 at the White Lion, Llan, Llandegla
He was the eldest surviving male child of Thomas & Miriam Owens.
He inherited the pub after the death of his father, Thomas in January 1874, 2 months later on 30th March 1874 at St Mary’s Church, Minera, he married, Elizabeth Williams. She was the daughter of David Williams, who was a Rockman according to the marriage certificate. Census returns give her place of birth as Ruthin. It seems that Elizabeth was some 6 months pregnant at the time of her marriage and aged 20.
From 1874 to the census of 1881 they had the following children;
Thomas Owens born. 29th June 1874, baptised 30th August 1874
David Owens born 14th August 1875 baptised 19th September 1875
Miriam Owens born 6th April 1877 baptised 18th July 1877
Died 15th December 1879 Buried 17th December 1879
John Owen Owens born. 26th November 1879 baptised 31st December 1879
The First Census that was taken since the couple married; was in 1881, Shows Owen now aged 32 of The Five Crosses Inn. His occupation is given as Blacksmith and Wife Elizabeth aged 27, Blacksmith’s wife.
They are listed with their 3 children; Thomas aged 7, David Aged 5, and John Owen aged 1, there is also a Winefred Evans entered at the address aged 22 and listed as a domestic servant, this is Owen’s sister Winefred who was married in 1877 to Edward Evans.
Owen and Elizabeth went on to have more children including
Edward William Owens born 13th May 1881 baptised 6th July 1881
Jane Elizabeth Owens born 17th October 1882 baptised 10th January 1883
Robert Owens born 24th May 1884 baptised 16th July 1884
Agnes Owens born 16th February 1886 baptised 14th April 1886
Daniel Owens born 24th June 1888 baptised 19th September 1888
Margaret Owens born 31st December 1889 baptised 30th April 1890
The 1891 census at The Five Crosses reported Owen Owens, now aged 42 Occupation, Blacksmith is living at the property together with his wife Elizabeth aged 37. His son Thomas is now aged 16 and is a Labourer/Blender at a smelting works, David is aged 15 and is a labourer at a stone Quarry, John Owen is aged 11, Edward aged 9, Jane E age 8, Robert age 6, Agnes age 5, Daniel age 2 and Maggie age 1 .
Owen & Elizabeth go on to have another 3 children:
Myfanwy Owens born 22nd March 1892 baptised 22nd June 1892
Ernest Owens born 14th August 1893 baptised 7th December 1893
Stanley Owens born 18th February 1895 baptised not yet known
A Story regarding Owen Owens has been recorded in a book by Robert Edwards and written by Alexander Cordell namely Coedpoeth As It Was, describes how Joseph Jones’ Nickname “Joe’s Best” came about. It was stated that Owen Owens (who’s nickname was “Owen-y-go”) ran a service, (along with a few others) with horse and carriage from Wrexham to Ruthin. The pair had been drinking at the Wynnstay and had, had a bet at who would be the first to arrive at Ruthin. Arriving at Coedpoeth Joseph Jones was in the lead and he changed horses outside the Cross Foxes pub and went on to win the race. From this he gained the nickname. What Joe did not realise is that the horse he had changed outside the Cross Foxes, dropped dead from its exertions, When Joe heard of this he vowed never to touch alcohol again, which he kept to.
Another mention of Owen Owens was again in the book by J. C Davies Pubs and Inquests which told of the accident in 1889 involving a Woman named Ellen Jones age 23 of Penigelli. Owen was driving a cart containing 13 young footballers. Ellen was seen to stagger across the road from the Welsh Harp in Smelt straight into the moving cart. She was carried into the pub but died almost straight away..
Elizabeth Owens died 3rd July 1915 aged 61 Years
Owen Himself lived another 9 Years before passing away in the autumn of 1924 aged 75
Stanley Owens 1895 to 1948
Stanley Owens, Youngest son of Owen and Elizabeth Owens was born 18th February 1895.
On 28th August 1916 at the age of 21 he married Ann Parry Hughes at Minera Parish Church
In 1920 Stanley has been noted as the Proprietor of the Five Crosses Public House in Minera following the death of his father Owen in 1919
Stanley and Ann had the following Children:
· Harold Owens born 5th September 1917
· Percy Owens born 7th June 1923
In addition to these activities he was also associated with the following:
· Chairman of the Five Crosses Savings club
· Member of Minera Old Age Pensioners committee
· Vice President of Minera Cycling Club
· Member of the Livestock Functional Group
· Member of the Coedpoeth Bowling Club
· Member of the Wrexham and District coal traders Association
On October 5th 1948 Stanley suddenly passed away from a heart attack at his home at the Five Crosses Inn aged 53. Stanley’s Obituary showed what a prominent and well respected man of the Community he had become. Stanley’s wife Ann lived to be over 100 years old eventually being reunited with her husband on 10th April 1995
Stanley’s son Harold married Olwen May Lloyd on 24th July 1940 at Bethel Chapel Coedpoeth, They had 2 children,
· Jean Owens born 1943
· Russell Owens born 1946,
Percy Owens was married on 5th December 1945 in Berse Church, New Broughton to Lilian Guy, they also had 2 children
· Pamela Owens born 1947
· Ray Owens born 1948